Friday, September 16, 2016

MEANINGLESS

I keep a small notebook and pencil under my pillow to capture all those brilliant ideas that show up in the middle of the night.
I can pull out the notebook, jot down my inspirations without even opening my eyes or turning on a light, tuck the notebook back under my pillow, and resume sleeping with hardly a moment's interruption. In the morning I open the notebook, remove the inscribed pages (which surely will be filled with gems of insight), and file them in the appropriate places.
The other morning when I opened the notebook to see what my midnight unconsciousness had produced, this was the page that awaited me. Yes...one word: 
"cucumbers" 
I had no idea what I was thinking...what the word meant...what the brilliant thought could possibly have been. The appropriate spot in which to file this gem was clear: WASTEBASKET. 

Reminder for the day: Some things really are worthless.

9 comments:

  1. Needless to say--this appeals to me enormously.
    The absurdity of life has always been a source of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! In fact, this is an example of absurdity as material for creation: I used this silly "cucumber" non-idea to create a blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you're being as cool as a cucumber about the entire experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! That's great Wendy! Bertrand Russell in his 'History of Western Philosophy' mentions a man known to William James who, whenever he was under the influence of laughing gas "...knew the secret of the universe, but when he came to, he had forgotten it. At last, with immense effort, he wrote down the secret before the vision had faded. When completely recovered, he rushed to see what he had written. It was: 'A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.'"

    In my opinion, cucumbers are way better than a smell of petroleum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren, this story is priceless! I laughed long and hard. Hope you are well!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wendy; your art makes me well. And I wonder... if you put a cucumber under your pillow, might the Cucumber Fairy visit and leave a quarter?

      Delete
  5. I think you're onto something. The Cucumber Fairy is in cahoots with the Pickle Fairy. Or maybe they're one and the same, but with disguises.

    ReplyDelete