Wednesday, July 20, 2011

RECIPE: WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

By popular request, I'm posting my recipe for the bread from my blog "Replenishing the Creative Well" (http://thewendywatsonblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/replenishing-creative-well.html).  I've adapted this recipe over time from two sources:  the King Arthur recipe for "Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread"; and my mother's recipe for "Whole Wheat Bread".  


100% WHOLE WHEAT SALT-FREE BREAD


Dissolve 2 Tbls active dry yeast in 3/4 c warm water
Then add:
2 c warm water or non-dairy milk
1/2 c maple syrup
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
6 Tbls vital wheat gluten flour (optional---will produce a higher loaf)
about 7 cups whole wheat flour (I don't know exactly---I never measure, just go by texture---enough to make a firm but still elastic dough)

Knead until dough is very smooth and no longer sticks to counter or hands---this may take 10 or 15 minutes or so, but it is worth putting in the long knead time, as the texture of the bread will be much finer.  Allow to rise once in the bowl.  Punch down, divide in two, shape, and allow to rise in well-greased pans.  (The dough, being salt-free, will rise more quickly than a salted dough.)  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then at 350 until done.  Makes two 9 x 5 loaves.


I use Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour and Gluten Flour; or for my second choice, King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour.  Either one will produce a superior flavor, especially important when creating salt-free baked goods.  I haven't given any details here for bread-baking; you can find them in numerous cookbooks and websites.  Three of my favorites for basic how-to's are older editions (1950's or 1960's) of The Joy of Cooking, the Fannie Farmer Cookbook, or The Betty Crocker Cookbook.


I've gone over this recipe with a fine-toothed comb and don't think I've made any typos.  If I have---well, you will let me know, won't you!

1 comment: